Massagno

Massagno

Edited by 

List price: US$55.01

Currently unavailable

Add to wishlist

AbeBooks may have this title (opens in new window).

Try AbeBooks

Description

Please note that the content of this book primarily consists of articles available from Wikipedia or other free sources online. Massagno is a municipality in the district of Lugano in the canton of Ticino in Switzerland. An Upper Paleolithic Ax made out of serpentinite, and some cremation graves from the Iron Age are the only prehistoric traces discovered in Massagno. The village of Massagno is first mentioned in 1146 as Masagnio. In 1198 it was mentioned as Maxanio. The Vicinanza of Massagno emerged from the villages of Massagno and Gerso, and during the Middle Ages it was part of the Pieve of Lugano. During the 9th and 10th Centuries, the Cathedral of S. Lorenzo in Lugano seems to have owned individual farms and houses in the village, and in 1198 it was the main landholder. At the same time, the Kastlanei Sonvico owned some estates. In 1262 the hospital of St. Mary of Lugano acquired some estates as well, which were sold in 1739 to the Luvini family in Massagno. In 1329, the provost of the Humiliati monastery of S . Antonio in Lugano bought land in the village. Then, in the 14th Century, the Bishop of Como acquired the right to tithe in Massagno and land in Gerso.show more

Product details

  • Paperback | 120 pages
  • 152 x 229 x 7mm | 186g
  • Chromo Publishing
  • United States
  • English
  • black & white illustrations
  • 6135877801
  • 9786135877809