Ludgate Hill, Past and Present [By W.P. Treloar]

Ludgate Hill, Past and Present [By W.P. Treloar]

By (author) 

List price: US$13.03

Currently unavailable

Add to wishlist

AbeBooks may have this title (opens in new window).

Try AbeBooks

Description

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can usually download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1881 edition. Excerpt: ...was placed in 1586. Doctors' Commons, on the Hill of St. Bennet, just behind Great Knightrider Street, may be said to have been begun in the reign of Elizabeth, for though, as people found to their cost, the ecclesiastical lawyers who held courts within the jurisdiction of the Church were numerous and powerful enough in the time of Henry VII., and had grown so overbearing in the next reign that Cranmer set himself to reduce the number of proctors (or attorneys), and to bring the Courts into something like order, there were still a large number of civil cases which were brought under ecclesiastical law. Doctors' Commons was, in fact, a college or common-house for doctors of law, and for the study and practice of the law. Cardinal Wolsey had intended to build a college of stone, for the purpose of receiving the community; but his fortunes waned, and it was not till the early part of the reign of Elizabeth that Master Henry Harvey, Doctor of the Civil and Canon Laws, Master of Trinity Hall, Cambridge, Prebendary of Ely, and Dean of the Arches, succeeded in taking the lawyers and Canonists from their rather mean lodgings in Paternoster Row, in a house which afterwards became the Queen's Head Tavern, and procuring for them a lease of a large building, formerly the house of Lord Mountjoy. After the Fire of London, which swept away the old College, the doctors, proctors, and advocates met at Essex House till the new building was finished--a brick-fronted structure, of the kind that prevailed immediately after the Fire, with an interior consisting of two quadrangles, chiefly occupied by the doctors, a hall for the hearing of causes, a spacious library, a refectory, and other apartments. The Admiralty Court was of great importance in later times, ...show more

Product details

  • Paperback
  • 189 x 246 x 2mm | 91g
  • Rarebooksclub.com
  • United States
  • English
  • black & white illustrations
  • 1236985206
  • 9781236985200