Looking Eighty Years Backward and a History of Roaring Spring, Pa

Looking Eighty Years Backward and a History of Roaring Spring, Pa

By (author) 

List price: US$15.84

Currently unavailable

Add to wishlist

AbeBooks may have this title (opens in new window).

Try AbeBooks

Description

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can usually download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1920 edition. Excerpt: ... small non-paying industry but under the efficient management of Dr. Garver it has now become one of the largest as well as one of the best equipped factories of its kind in existence. THE PLANING MILL The Roaring Spring Planing Mill was built in the year 1887, D. M. Bare & Company, Akers, Galbraith & Company, and John N. Shaffer, each owning one-fourth, and David S. Brumbaugh, Esq., Dr. A. S. Stayer and Edward Hair the remainder, with John N. Shafier as superintendent. This firm built the Park Hotel, now the Nason hospital, in 1888. They continued in business till 1897 and had done quite a lot of building in the town and elsewhere, but it had not been a paying institution. It was, therefore, put up at public sale in 1897 and was bought by D. M. Bare & Company, the members of this firm then were D. M. Bare and D. R. Wike. In the year 1898 they sold a one-third interest to William A. Feight, who became the manager and continued in charge of the business until 1906. In the year 1901 Lewis Garber was admitted as a partner and D. R. Wike retired. On the retirement of Mr. Feight, Dr. A. L. Garver bought his interest and became owner of one-third of the property and business. On the retirement of Mr. Feighi; in 1906, John A. Shultz became the superintendent of the mill and Erastus Garber was placed in charge of the office. The Planing Mill Company has built nearly all the buildings in Roaring Spring and many outside of the town, and in addition has sold much lumber from its lumber yard. This company also has a coal yard connected with the mill which has supplied the most of the coal for domestic' use in the town all these years, the coal yard having been in existence before the Planing Mill was built. THE ICE PLANT In the year...show more

Product details

  • Paperback | 46 pages
  • 189 x 246 x 3mm | 100g
  • Rarebooksclub.com
  • United States
  • English
  • black & white illustrations
  • 1236942086
  • 9781236942081