Literature Volume 1-11

Literature Volume 1-11

By (author) 

List price: US$56.71

Currently unavailable

Add to wishlist

AbeBooks may have this title (opens in new window).

Try AbeBooks

Description

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1897 edition. Excerpt: ...is paid royalties on the number of copies sold," and you proceed to argue that the "author's " interest must be against the not system of publishing because that involves reduction of the nominal sum upon which his royalty is levied. Even if your definition were exact it is hard to see why the community should, in your own words (used it is true in a different connexion), be taxed " to subsidize a special small class of men," to wit, the royalty-levying novelist. But is your definition exact I venture to demur to it, and to assert that the "author," by which term I mean the writer of books generally and not of one special class of books, is chiefly interested in the same end as the publisher, viz.--the sale of as many copies of a book as possible. Of any 100 new books printed it may be said that 40 per cent, are produced more or less at the author's own cost; of the remaining 60 per cent., 50 are either paid for outright bythe publisher or the latter shares profits in some measure with the author. Probably not more than 10 per cent, of all new books are published on a royalty basis. As regards these 10 per cent., a high nominal selling price is undoubtedly the ideal--pins a royalty of lld. in the Is. But why should the authors who pay for their own books, why should they who sell their copyright entirely or for a given number of editions, why should they who share profits (and not merely proceeds) be sacrificed to the royalty-levying aristocrat? In all these cases the author wants as many copies of his book to sell as possible. But to achieve this end there is one, and only one, way--multiply retail booksellers and make the conditions of their trading remunerative enough to enable them to sell books; and what is...show more

Product details

  • Paperback | 504 pages
  • 189 x 246 x 26mm | 889g
  • Rarebooksclub.com
  • Miami Fl, United States
  • English
  • black & white illustrations
  • 123656653X
  • 9781236566539