Landmarks of Niagara County, New York

Landmarks of Niagara County, New York

By (author) 

List price: US$22.40

Currently unavailable

Add to wishlist

AbeBooks may have this title (opens in new window).

Try AbeBooks

Description

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can usually download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1897 edition. Excerpt: ...from New Jersey in I787, driving cattle for sale. He came again on the same business in I788 and in that year purchased a lot of furs which he carried back to the eastern markets. He settled in what is now the town of Porter in I802. He served in the militia in the war of 1812 and held the post of colonel. He was successful as a farmer and administered the ofiice of county judge with integrity and fair ability. His death took place on the home farm about seven miles east of Lewiston, August 26, 1862, at the age of ninety years. He left a son named Silas S., who was also a successful farmer and father of two sons, Willard, of Lewiston, and Silas. Burt Van Horn, is a son of Judge James Van Horn and was born in the town of Newfane, Niagara county, October 28, 1823, His grandfather (also named James) was a native of New Jersey, where his son James was born in I770. He settled in Newfane in 1815, was a blacksmith, a farmer, and a miller; he built the first grist mill, which has been described in earlier pages of this volume, and which was burned by the British in 1813. It stood on Eighteen-mile Creek on the site of the Lake Shore mills. He also built the first woolen mill in this county. When Niagara county was organized he was chosen as one of its judges and performed the duties of the ofiice with intelligence and probity. His son, Burt Van Horn, is one of the prominent citizens of the county. Cyrus E. Davis was born at Queenston Heights, August 29, I827. In 1837 he removed with his father to Lewiston, finished his academic education there, and studied law in the office of S. B. Piper of that village. In 1847 he removed to Buffalo, entered the office of Dyer Tillinghast, and a year later was admitted to the bar. He practiced in Buffalo until..show more

Product details

  • Paperback | 314 pages
  • 189 x 246 x 17mm | 562g
  • Rarebooksclub.com
  • United States
  • English
  • black & white illustrations
  • 1236743598
  • 9781236743596