Please note that the content of this book primarily consists of articles available from Wikipedia or other free sources online. The Lancaster and Preston Junction Railway was an early British railway company, in Lancashire, England. It later merged with the Lancaster and Carlisle Railway. The Lancaster and Preston Junction Railway Company was created by Act of Parliament on 5 May 1837, to link the towns of Preston and Lancaster. The company planned to build its Preston terminus at Dock Street, near the Lancaster Canal, in the expectation that the rival North Union Railway line from Wigan would have its terminus close by. In fact, the North Union built its station 200 yards away, just south of Fishergate, in what seems to have been a tactical move to get the L&PJR to contribute towards the cost of a short tunnel and connecting line between the two railways. This marked the start of protracted feuding between the two companies for years to come. Eventually a deal was struck for the L&PJR to use the North Union station.