Lakeside and Marblehead Railroad

Lakeside and Marblehead Railroad

List price: US$46.00

Currently unavailable

Add to wishlist

AbeBooks may have this title (opens in new window).

Try AbeBooks

Description

Please note that the content of this book primarily consists of articles available from Wikipedia or other free sources online. Incorporated on April 17, 1886, at Marblehead, Ohio, the Lakeside and Marblehead Railroad was a short standard gauge railroad that spanned about seven miles in length. It extended from Marblehead through Lakeside to a connection with the Lake Shore and Michigan Southern Railway at Danbury. A common carrier, it carried both freight and passengers. It was abandoned as a common carrier railroad July 31, 1964, operated for the last time as a private industrial railroad in Summer 1978, and its tracks were removed in Fall 1997. The L&M was primarily a limestone hauler for the stone quarries at Marblehead. These firms sent out thousands of carloads per year of shell or "flux" stone to be consumed by blast furnaces across the midwestern United States in the process of making steel. When the original promoters were unable to build enough traffic to keep the line financially afloat, the railroad was purchased by the Cleveland, Ohio-based Kelley Island Lime & Transport Company January 1, 1891, as its first step in buying out all of the quarries of Marblehead.show more

Product details

  • Paperback | 96 pages
  • 152 x 229 x 6mm | 150g
  • DIC Press
  • United States
  • English
  • 6135945491
  • 9786135945492