The Ladies' Garland Volume 1, Nos. 1-17

The Ladies' Garland Volume 1, Nos. 1-17

By (author) 

List price: US$29.59

Currently unavailable

Add to wishlist

AbeBooks may have this title (opens in new window).

Try AbeBooks

Description

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1838 edition. Excerpt: ... ruffle the silver sea, Would he turn his eye from the distant sky, To smile on a thing like thee? O no, fair Lily, he will not send One ray from his far off throne, The winds shall blow and the waves shall flow, And thou will be left alone! There is not a leaf in the mountain top, Nor a drop of evening dew, Nor a golden sand on the sparkling shore, Nor a pearl in the waters blue, That he has not cheered with his faithless smile, And warmed with his faithless beam, --And will he be true to a pallid flower That floats on the quiet stream? Alas for the Lily! she would not heed, But turned to the skies afar, And bared her breast to the trembling ray, That shot from the rising star; The clouds came over the darkened sky, And over the waters wide: She looked in vain through the beating rain, And sank in the stormy tide. I know no friends more faithful, more inseparable, than hard-heartedness and pride; humility and love, lies and impudence.--Lavaler, VIEW IN THE KREMLIN AT MOSCOW. The Kremlin is one of the divisions of tin city of Moscow, which escaped the confla gration that in 1811, destroyed almost the whole of that city, and clouded the hopes am fortunes of Buonaparte. This escape is, doubt less, attributable to the fact of its having been built chiefly of stone, whereas the remainder of Moscow was principally composed ol wooden houses. The Kremlin derives its name from the Russian word krem or krim, which signifies a fortress. It stood in the central and highest part of the city, is of a triangular form and about two miles in circumference. It is surrounded by high walls of stone and brick which were constructed by Peter Solarius, a Milanese, in the year 1491. It is not a little extraordinary, that the Tzars should have employed foreign architects..show more

Product details

  • Paperback | 212 pages
  • 189 x 246 x 11mm | 386g
  • Rarebooksclub.com
  • Miami Fl, United States
  • English
  • black & white illustrations
  • 123653266X
  • 9781236532664