The Hundred of Wirral

The Hundred of Wirral

By (author) 

List price: US$22.76

Currently unavailable

We can notify you when this item is back in stock

Add to wishlist

AbeBooks may have this title (opens in new window).

Try AbeBooks

Description

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1889 edition. Excerpt: ...who was vicar of Neston, temp. Edward II. In 1399 (1 Henry IV.) William de Brunburgh, parson of Aldeford, had letters of protection from Henry, Prince of Wales, "the said William being about to enter upon a pilgrimage to "Rome." Again, William Brunburgh was commissioned in 1445 (23 Henry VI.), "to seize all the corn hoarded by the forestallers "and regraters in the Hundred, and to cause the same to be "publicly sold, at a reasonable price, in the nearest market, and to "provide that none be carried out of the Hundred." In 1465, he was also commissioned to collect a subsidy. It is probable that this estate passed, either by sale or grant, to the Gloggs, of Gayton, who held lands here in the 15th century. At the dissolution, the manor was granted to the new diocese of Chester, but, in common with the other estates, fell into the hands of the Cottons, by whom it was sold to fee-farmers, of whom the principal were William Meo, alias Baxter, and Richard Bavand, gent; the fee-farm rent being 25 7s. 7d. The manor and township of Bromborough was purchased by Bishop Bridgman, whose son, Sir Orlando Bridgman, Bart., was Keeper of the Great Seal, and by whom the estate was sold to the Greenes, of Poulton Lancelyn or Spital. It was again sold in portions, the manor and hall being purchased by Edward Bradshaw, Alderman of Chester, from whose son, Sir James Bradshaw, of Risby, Kt., it passed to James Mainwaring, Esq., of Whitmore, Salop, the direct descendant of Ranulf de Mesnelwarin, to whom Blacon was granted at the conquest, but this did not include the Bromborough Court Estate, which was acquired at the dissolution by Henry Hardware, together with the mills and a wood called "William Drife." This was..."show more

Product details

  • Paperback | 128 pages
  • 189 x 246 x 7mm | 240g
  • Rarebooksclub.com
  • United States
  • English
  • black & white illustrations
  • 1236507657
  • 9781236507655