A History of the Weald of Kent, with an Outline of the Early History of the County Volume 3

A History of the Weald of Kent, with an Outline of the Early History of the County Volume 3

By (author) 

List price: US$9.63

Currently unavailable

Add to wishlist

AbeBooks may have this title (opens in new window).

Try AbeBooks

Description

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can usually download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1874 edition. Excerpt: ...The dene of Glassenbury, with some of the above denes, subsequently formed the extensive Park of Walter Roberts, the owner of Glassenbury, who by a grant from Henry VII. (A.D. 1489) emparked 1,600 acres of land, 1,000 of which were then cultivated as wood, situate in Cranbrook, Goudhurst, and Ticehurst (Sussex). It has been long since disparked. Hasted states erroneously, Vol. iii., p. 55, " there is no part of this parish which claims an exemption of tithes," which has misled Mr. Elton, who in his "Tenures of Kent," p. 195, says " Cranbrook, in the centre of the Weald, did not enjoy the exemption of tithe on wood." By the Tithe Apportionment, the woodlands are declared to be tithe free. Buckhurst, Sissinghurst, Copton, and Stone were held by knight service. Evans, in his " Juvenile Tourist," states (but gives no authority that " Queen Elizabeth laid the first stone of the Grammar School at Cranbroo," and on that occasion she visited the cloth manufactory here, when she walked down to " Cowshorn," now known as " Coursehorne," more than a mile from the town, on broad cloth! + In 1805, upwards of forty enclosures of the lands of this Manor took place in Cranbrook. EBONY anciently written Ebbene, from Ebbe, a female Saint, daughter of King Ethelfred. A.D. 660.--Bcde. In this parish the dene of Reading (part) and Ladysdene were held of Great Chart; and there is the dene of Goddeu. The boundary between East and West, now Ennmmrnos, on EaTOnsamcs. Tun Wsrrzsv Vs Ll-3--EA-DEN. Three very ancient denes in or near this parish, Billanora, Broxham, and Sciarndene were granted with the Manor of Bromley to the see of Rochester. The river called the Eden joins the Medway...show more

Product details

  • Paperback | 226 pages
  • 189 x 246 x 12mm | 413g
  • Rarebooksclub.com
  • United States
  • English
  • black & white illustrations
  • 1236805925
  • 9781236805928