History of the Upper Ohio Valley, with Family History and Biographical Sketches

History of the Upper Ohio Valley, with Family History and Biographical Sketches

By (author) 

List price: US$22.40

Currently unavailable

Add to wishlist

AbeBooks may have this title (opens in new window).

Try AbeBooks

Description

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can usually download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1890 edition. Excerpt: ...until the congregation was divided--the territory being too large and the membership too much scattered. Other churches being organized contiguous the brick building was torn down and a new one put up on the northwest quarter of section 13, township 11, range 3--a frame structure 33x44 feet. The records of the church being lost previous to 1840, the exact successiori 'of pastors cannot now be ascertained. J. R. Dundas was pastor from 1840 till 1844, then came Cyrus Riggs, who was pastor at the time the "old brick" church was abandoned. Mr. Riggs was succeeded by Lafferty Greer, who officiated seven years, and was in turn succeeded by Rev. ohn S. Marquis, who resigned on account of ill-health in 1865. Wil iam Wycoff was installed in June, 1866, and officiated until October 19, 1873. He in turn was succeeded by Rev. W. M. Eaton, whose connection with the congregation was dissolved in October, 1868, since which time the church hasibeen without a regularly installed minister, but has depended upon supplies furnished by the Presb tery, Rev. I. Price acting as stated supply at times. Briefly have we sketched some of the earliest Presbyterian churches in this county. Many more churches of this denomination have been established in this county at dates subsequent to the founding of the above, In the county there are twenty-four Presbyterian churches witha membership of over 2,700, and a Sunday-school attendance of upwards of 3,000. The churches on the whole are prosperous and making steady growth, although some of the country churches are weakened by removals. The history of the first Episcopalian church in Jefferson county is as follows: S11. Yamcs Epzivco/fial C/zurcc/z.--In December, 1800, Dr. Doddridge entered into an...show more

Product details

  • Paperback | 426 pages
  • 189 x 246 x 22mm | 757g
  • Rarebooksclub.com
  • United States
  • English
  • black & white illustrations
  • 1236818059
  • 9781236818058