History of the Township and Village of Mazomanie

History of the Township and Village of Mazomanie

By (author) 

List price: US$14.25

Currently unavailable

Add to wishlist

AbeBooks may have this title (opens in new window).

Try AbeBooks

Description

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can usually download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1900 edition. Excerpt: ...that the period of best business activity was from 1860 to 1870. During this time the population of the village nearly doubled, and the population of the township, outside of the village, increased fifty-three per cent. The farmers came from a distance of thirty miles from Mazomanie, and for an average business day in 1870 the number of teams on the streets was three times greater than in 1900. There was little or no building during the later sixties, but the trade brought by the farmers made busy and profitable times for the merchant, laboring man and artisan. From the farms for twenty miles around came wheat, cattle, hogs and produce of all kinds. In 1865 the legislature enacted, "All that portion of township number 9 north, of range number 6 east, being fractional sections numbeis 13, 24, 25, 35, 36, ... is hereby detached from the town of Roxbury " and attached to Mazoma nie. In 1866 the fractional section 23, and all of section 26 of township 9 north, 6 east, were joined to Mazomanie. The movement for incorporation of the village began in 1884, and, after a vigorous opposition, the election, held on August 10, 1885, showed 114 out of a total of 211 in favor of incorporation. On September 1, 1885, the following village ofiicers were elected: John B. Stickney, President. J. A. Schmidtz, Sutclifie Perkin, Thomas Davies, E. M. Haseltine, Fred Trager, John G. Knapp, Trustees. H. R. Learnard, Clerk. G. C. Draper, Treasurer. G. F. Whitney, Supervisor. Thomas VVOolrich, Constable. J. A. Shower, Justice of the Peace. Henry Schildt, Police Justice. The first meeting of the trustees was at Knapp Bros.' store on September 3, and at the next meeting one week later Mr. Knapp presented a design for the village seal, which was...show more

Product details

  • Paperback | 28 pages
  • 189 x 246 x 2mm | 68g
  • Rarebooksclub.com
  • United States
  • English
  • black & white illustrations
  • 1236986598
  • 9781236986597