History of the Town of Middleboro, Massachusetts

History of the Town of Middleboro, Massachusetts

By (author) 

List price: US$32.29

Currently unavailable

Add to wishlist

AbeBooks may have this title (opens in new window).

Try AbeBooks

Description

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1906 edition. Excerpt: ...until later. There had been before on this dam a grist-mill and sawmill, among the first erected after the resettlement of the town. This dam then, as now, had a sufficient opening for the passing of herring up to the great ponds, and very careful provision was made that the herring fishery should in no way be obstructed by it or by subsequent enlargements and improvements. In 1744 Peter Oliver, a son of Daniel Oliver, one of the wealthy business men in the town of Boston and a brother of Andrew Oliver, who in after years became lieutenant-governor of the province, moved from Boston to Muttock and made it his permanent home. He was undoubtedly attracted by the 1 See chapter on Early Settlers. 2 See chapter on Civil History. beauty of the place, and probably also by the notoriety it had attained from the petition of the remaining Indians dwelling at Muttock to sell their land and move to Titicut. Mr. Oliver was a graduate of Harvard College in the class of 1737, became a very prominent citizen in the colony, and perhaps did more for the town than any other individual. He early bought much of the land about Muttock, including the dam and water privilege, and at once proceeded to erect a forge and slitting-mill on the dam, and an iron foundry, known as Oliver's Furnace, a little below upon a point of land extending into the middle of the river. The dam was considerably enlarged and strengthened for these new works. While it was being constructed, the bed of the river was changed by digging a canal above the pond, which extended near the stable of the late Earl Sproat, and ran into the river a little below. Afterward the ditch was carefully filled, although it can be traced at the present time in places. A blast furnace at this period was heated...show more

Product details

  • Paperback | 242 pages
  • 189 x 246 x 13mm | 440g
  • Rarebooksclub.com
  • Miami Fl, United States
  • English
  • black & white illustrations
  • 1236643135
  • 9781236643131