History of That Part of the Susquehanna and Juniata Valleys; Embraced in the Counties of Mifflin, Juniata, Perry, Union and Snyder, in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania Volume 2

History of That Part of the Susquehanna and Juniata Valleys; Embraced in the Counties of Mifflin, Juniata, Perry, Union and Snyder, in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania Volume 2

By (author) 

List price: US$22.41

Currently unavailable

Add to wishlist

AbeBooks may have this title (opens in new window).

Try AbeBooks

Description

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can usually download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1886 edition. Excerpt: ...wife was Mary, daughter of William Wilson, of White Deer, now Kelly township. Children, --Robert and Thomas, of Philadelphia; Mrs. Dr. Seiler, of Harrisburg; Mrs. John Chamberlin; Mrs. Dr. Thomas Murray; James Hayes, late of the auditor-generaI's oflicc at Harrisburg; Dr. William Hayes, of Muncy. Mr. Hayes was the second postmaster of Lewisburgh, and held the ofiice a long time, in connection with his store, which was the principal one in the. valley for many years." 1 Lieutenant James Hayes served under Colonel Boquet in the French and Indian War, and received for his services a tract of land at the mouth of Beech Creek, in Clinton County, on which he settled, raised a large family and died. He is buried in the Hayes grave-yard, so called from him, at Beech Creek. He is the only one of his brother ofiicers who fulfilled tn the letter his contract with the proprietaries by settling upon his allotment. 'Keel-boat.r.--Tliey were fifty to sixty feet long, ten to twelve feet wide, pointed at both ends, with a long our and swivel that could be shifted to either end. They had no deck, but tarpnulin was used in bad weather. Loaded, they floated down the river, but coming up, they were poled. Two planks ran side by side along the centre of ' lhe vessel, and with long poles pointed with iron, the polers placed their shoulders to the end and walked the plank. John Black was born in Lewisburgh, Union-County, on the 4th of October, 1796. He helped build the dam at the mouth of the Juniata. and two sections of the canal at llainbridge. In 1832 he was superintendent of the construction of the York County half of the Columbia bridge, which was burned in 1863. In I835 and 1838 he rebuilt all the dams and locks on the Conestoga from...show more

Product details

  • Paperback | 484 pages
  • 188.98 x 246.13 x 24.64mm | 857.29g
  • Rarebooksclub.com
  • United States
  • English
  • black & white illustrations
  • 1236973437
  • 9781236973436