A History and Survey of the Cathedral Church of SS. Peter, Paul, Dubritius, Teilo, and Oudoceus, Llandaff

A History and Survey of the Cathedral Church of SS. Peter, Paul, Dubritius, Teilo, and Oudoceus, Llandaff

By (author) 

List price: US$14.56

Currently unavailable

Add to wishlist

AbeBooks may have this title (opens in new window).

Try AbeBooks

Description

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can usually download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1898 edition. Excerpt: ...Jasper Tudor, Earl of Pembroke, and afterwards Duke of Bedford, a son of the romantic marriage between Queen Catherine of France, the widow of Henry V., and the simple Welsh gentleman, Owen Tudor, and, consequently, paternal uncle of Henry VII., from whom Jasper Tudor received the Lordship of Glamorgan. He died in the year 1495. Only a small portion of the Early English tower now remains at the bottom near the central gable. Here the work of the two periods is united in a most skilful manner, the perpendicular octagonal staircase turret being introduced on the base of the Early English square one. The present tower, which is known as "Jasper's" Tower, was probably built on the foundations of the Early English one, about the year 1485, and forms a fine example of the architecture of the Tudor period. It is of four stages, and has buttresses with many offsets, which finish just below the cornice of the parapet, with pedimented and crocketted pinnacles, and is surmounted by a crown wrought in open work, and has a fine effect. The basement story is within the Church, and has only one three-light traceried window in the west wall, and is surrounded on the outside by a deep ogee plinth. The second story, or ringing room, is lit on the north side only, by a two-light window which has open ornamental stonework between the mullions. There is also a door leading from this room on to the flats of the north aisle. The third story is lit on three sides, by two-light traceried windows with open ornamental stonework between the mullions, and there is a door on the south side leading on to the roof of the nave. In this room is placed the Cathedral clock, with chimes, having the following inscription: --"Dedicated to the glory of God, and in...show more

Product details

  • Paperback
  • 189 x 246 x 2mm | 82g
  • Rarebooksclub.com
  • United States
  • English
  • black & white illustrations
  • 1236897447
  • 9781236897442