History of St Helens, Merseyside

History of St Helens, Merseyside

Edited by 

List price: US$85.00

Currently unavailable

Add to wishlist

AbeBooks may have this title (opens in new window).

Try AbeBooks

Description

Please note that the content of this book primarily consists of articles available from Wikipedia or other free sources online. St Helens is a large town and the administrative seat of the Metropolitan Borough of St Helens in Merseyside, England. The town was incorporated as a Municipal Borough in 1868, responsible for the administration of the four townships and manors of Ecclestone, Parr, Sutton and Windle. In 1887 this was role was expanded to a County Borough in 1887, and which was superseded in 1974 by the larger Metropolitan Borough. St Helens is in the far south west of the historic county of Lancashire in North West England, six miles north of the River Mersey. This portion of the county was partially settled by the Celtic Brigantes who were subsequently subjugated by the Romans in the 1st Century, with nearby Wigan probably the location of the Roman settlement of Coccium. No archaeological evidence has been uncovered to tie either group specifically to the St Helens area, though Eccleston derives its name from either the Latin Ecclesia or Welsh Eglwys suggesting a link to a church.show more

Product details

  • Paperback | 208 pages
  • 152 x 229 x 12mm | 313g
  • Equ Press
  • United States
  • English
  • 6135673351
  • 9786135673357