History of Seneca Co.,

History of Seneca Co.,

By (author) 

List price: US$34.14

Currently unavailable

Add to wishlist

AbeBooks may have this title (opens in new window).

Try AbeBooks

Description

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1876 edition. Excerpt: ...and made the "real copper-distilled rye." Andrew Schott was a blacksmith in Scauyes in 1803, and later owned a farm about two miles south of the village. He occupied a small frame on one of four corners, and worked in a shop which stood just north of his dwelling. He was a resident for ten or twelve years, and then moved upon his farm, where he died. Daniel Moore, also a blacksmith, occupied a one and a half story frame house on the corner opposite Schott. His shop stood next the race, where, in addition to regular work, he manufactured wrought-iron nails. All the nails used in putting together the barn-of William Penoyer, built in 1812, were the hand-work of Moore, who later moved to Seneca Falls and thence to Michigan. John Watkins succeeded Bear, in 1807, in the mercantile business. He was from New Jersey, and took a prominent part in public progress. He ran a tannery in connection with storekeeping, and had a lucrative trade. About 1816, he put up a frame mill on the Island; served as ju/lge, and died about 1850. A son, Benjamin Watkins, is at present a lawyer in Waterloo. About 1808, Matthias Strayer, a wheelwright, moved into Scauyes, and engaged in the manufacture of large spinning-wheels for wool and tow, and the small wheels for flax. There was a great demand for these wheels; every family able to. buy had one or more of them to spin their thread and yarn. William Penoyer, a cooper by trade, who had been for some years a resident of Seneca Falls, removed to Scauyes, and in the spring of 1810 kept the first tavern opened in the place. There were then but six families settled in the village, namely, Daniel Moore, Andrew Schott, Abram Yost, Anthony Snyder, John Watkins, and Colonel Daniel Rhoas; all had frame houses. Snyder was a...show more

Product details

  • Paperback | 262 pages
  • 189 x 246 x 14mm | 472g
  • Rarebooksclub.com
  • Miami Fl, United States
  • English
  • black & white illustrations
  • 1236585615
  • 9781236585615