History of Richardson County, Nebraska; Its People, Industries and Institutions

History of Richardson County, Nebraska; Its People, Industries and Institutions : With Biographical Sketches of Representative Citizens and Genealogical Records of the Old Families Volume 1

By (author) 

List price: US$43.44

Currently unavailable

Add to wishlist

AbeBooks may have this title (opens in new window).

Try AbeBooks

Description

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can usually download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1917 edition. Excerpt: ...razed the first church and, in its stead, erected a fine large modern church which ranks as one of the best in the county. GERMAN METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH. Shortly after the organization of the Christian church came that of the German Methodist Episcopal church. During the first twenty-five years of its life, it was a mission, served by preachers, who were forced to divide their time between five congregations. The first date in the record of this society is I860 when its-membership was stated as fourteen. The first preacher to supply the Humboldt circuit was Rev. J; Lange. He was followed by Reverends Meke, Meyer, Dreyer, Muelhenbrook, Schatz, C. Bauer, H. H. Menger, C. Bruegger, E. Schumacher, Fred Unland, J. H. Mertens, H. C. Schee, G. Bennenter, G. G. Gracsmueck, J. Kracker, F. H. Wipperman and H. A. Sickman. The present pastor of this congregation is Rev. John Kracker. The first church building was completed in 1879 and was, at that time, one of the finest churches in the city. Like the Christian congregation, they, too, have in recent years built an entirely new church which far outtranks the early church in size and cost. ENGLISH METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH. This church was organized in 1871. and on March 29 of the same year, the general conference recognizing its needs. appointed Martin Prichard to preach God's word and build up the society. In 1873 the society built the first church building in Humboldt, completing the same at a cost of one thousand four hundred dollars. Since that time, extensive repairs and extensions have increased its cost to more than three thousand dollars. The society built a parsonage on Nemaha street in 1879, which building was later sold and another bought and remodeled. This church, which is one of...show more

Product details

  • Paperback | 312 pages
  • 189 x 246 x 17mm | 558g
  • Rarebooksclub.com
  • United States
  • English
  • black & white illustrations
  • 1236928873
  • 9781236928870