The History of Norwich

The History of Norwich

By (author) 

List price: US$19.99

Currently unavailable

Add to wishlist

AbeBooks may have this title (opens in new window).

Try AbeBooks

Description

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1814 edition. Excerpt: ...in Si. Peter of H ungate. In 1661 the pulpit and seals were removed from hence to the cathedral again, where the corporation have ever since attended, and the Dutch have had possession of the chancel.. In 1687 the Roman Catholics petitioned to have h for the exercise of their religious worship, but the Dutch kept possession of it, and the Catholics were permitted the -se of the West granary on the North 4de of the church, which had lately been nsed by the Independents, as the East eranary had been by the Presbyterians, but which they had then quitted, having been permitted to erect meeting-houses for themselves in other parts ef the city. The Roman Catholics used this place till they were provided with a chapel, as is before mentioned, at the duke's palace. The hall was afterwards nsed as an exchange for the merchants and tradesmen to meet in; but that has long been discontinued. Formerly the assizes for the city were held in it, but were afterwards, removed to guildhall, where they are now kept. Here were likewise kept the feasts of the several companies of tradesmen, all of which are now abolished; but the mayor's feast, on the guildday, is usually held here, and is the grandest corporation dinner in this kingdom, ont of the city of London. The building in its present state is a regular and beautiful structure, consisting of a have and two side aisles, more than fifty yards in length, and thirty in breadth. The roof, which is verylofty, is supported by twelve slender gothic pilars; the whole is enlightened by Spacious Windows, which were anciently of painted glass, but none of them are now remaining. The pavement was new laid in 1646. Between the nave and chancel, where the tower formerly stood, the stone mullions only of the Windows...show more

Product details

  • Paperback | 96 pages
  • 189 x 246 x 5mm | 186g
  • Rarebooksclub.com
  • Miami Fl, United States
  • English
  • black & white illustrations
  • 1236681339
  • 9781236681331