History of North Brookfield, Massachusetts; Preceded by an Account of Old Quabaug, Indian and English Occupation, 1647-1676; Brookfield Records, 1686-1783 Volume 3

History of North Brookfield, Massachusetts; Preceded by an Account of Old Quabaug, Indian and English Occupation, 1647-1676; Brookfield Records, 1686-1783 Volume 3

By (author) 

List price: US$13.75

Currently unavailable

Add to wishlist

AbeBooks may have this title (opens in new window).

Try AbeBooks

Description

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can usually download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1887 edition. Excerpt: ...and the upper story is devoted to an assessors' room, and for storage purposes. Ever since the building was erected the yearly rents received for the use of stores and the Hall have amounted to considerable more than a fair rate of interest on the entire investment. SCHOOLHOUSES. In addition to what is said in relation to schools on pp. 255 and 256, the parish records show that the first schoolhouse built at the expense of the parish was the one built in 1759, located about twenty-five rods north of the meeting-house (see ante, 255), and on the spot now occupied by the Potter house, --Daniel Potter's house at that time being located further east, on the higher ground. The location of this house was changed to near where the present house stands, just north of the old meeting-house site. It was there burnt in 1816. A new one was erected, and made long enough for two schoolrooms, continuing to be used by District No. 1 till 1871, when it was sold to William Fullam and removed to the foot of Kittridge hill; and the fine two-story schoolhouse now standing on nearly the same location was erected by the town at a cost of nearly $6,000. The town also built a new schoolhouse in No. 8 the same year, costing $1,860. In 1847, the year after the destruction of the so-called Town House, the inhabitants of School District No. 2 purchased the Grove lot of Daniel Gilbert, Esq., for $ 1,000, and erected a schoolhouse thereon 42 X 64 fcet, --a one-story building, 14 feet posts, containing two spacious rooms, and costing about $2,500. About four years later the house was raised, adding two more schoolrooms under the same roof. About twenty-five years ago District No. 3 built a new house, and the other districts repaired or reconstructed their schoolhouses...show more

Product details

  • Paperback | 422 pages
  • 189 x 246 x 22mm | 748g
  • Rarebooksclub.com
  • United States
  • English
  • Illustrations, black and white
  • 1236762185
  • 9781236762184