History of North Bridgewater; Plymouth County, Massachusetts, from Its First Settlement to the Present Time, with Family Registers

History of North Bridgewater; Plymouth County, Massachusetts, from Its First Settlement to the Present Time, with Family Registers

By (author) 

List price: US$33.68

Currently unavailable

Add to wishlist

AbeBooks may have this title (opens in new window).

Try AbeBooks

Description

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1866 edition. Excerpt: ...go io the city, and return in the evening train, and have several Iiours for business. CHAPTER XX. MISCELLANEOUS HISTORY. Mills.--Manufactures.--Bridgewater Manufacturing Company.--Tanners.--Blacksmiths.--Shoe Tool Manufacturers.--Public-Houses.--Traders.--Tailors.--Hatters.--Bakers.--Saddlers.--Wheelwrights.--Coopers.--Clocks.--Watchmakers.--Jewellers.--Drugs and Medicines.--Furniture Manufacturers.--Carpenters.--Painters.--Masons.--Tin-Plate and Sheet-Iron Workers.--Dentists.--Blacking Manufacturing.--Boot and Shoe Manufacturing.--List of Inventions. HILLS. DURING the first settlement of the North Parish the attention of the settlers was first directed to clearing the lands and preparing the same for agricultural purposes. They very soon, however, erected saw and grist mills, many of whicli are numbered among the things that were. One of the first mills erected in the North Parish was a saw-mill on the dam south of the residence of the late Azor Packard, said to have been built by Abijah Thayer and others, and was near the main street leading from Campello to West Bridgewater. The remains of the dam are to be seen at the present time. We should judge this mill was of small power, as it is related of a man that was passing the works while on his way from Bridgewater to Boston (a journey of two or three days), as he passed, the saw was going up, and when he returned, it was just coming down. Previous to 1800, there was a saw-mill a short distance north of Cole's Fulling-mill, now Wheeler's Tack Works, which was owned by Zebedee Snell, Parmeuas Packard, and others. There was another saw-mill, a short distance north of the late John Tilden's residence, in the west part of the town, and east of Hayward Marshall's residence. The mill was owned by...show more

Product details

  • Paperback | 256 pages
  • 189 x 246 x 14mm | 463g
  • Rarebooksclub.com
  • Miami Fl, United States
  • English
  • black & white illustrations
  • 1236607627
  • 9781236607621