History of Mitchell and Worth Counties, Iowa Volume 1

History of Mitchell and Worth Counties, Iowa Volume 1

By (author) 

List price: US$31.06

Currently unavailable

Add to wishlist

AbeBooks may have this title (opens in new window).

Try AbeBooks


This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can usually download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1918 edition. Excerpt: ...Lovejoy. The 1857 settlers included these: Colben Seaver, a Norwegian, who settled in section 1; Thomas Henry Lovejoy (brother of George B.), who bought land in section 22. At first he moved to his brother's house in section 15, and there he lived until 1863. This was on the wild, unsettled and very broad expanse of prairie away from all settlement, and it served as a sort of tavern for passers by. In 1859 John Roberts, another Vermonter, came here from Dane County, Wisconsin, and located in section 16. From this date on until after the close of the Civil war there was little done toward further settlement of this and other townships within Mitchell County. Among the I866 settlers may be recalled such men as Emery Garfield, of Massachusetts, locating in section 9. He died in Clay County in 1878. Joseph F. Hews settled in section 8, and died in 1880. Warren Van Hooser, from New York State, purchased land in the southwest quarter of section 15, of G. B. Lovejoy. After about 1866 the township was largely settled by German people, who belong to the Lutheran Church. EARLY EVENTS OF INTEREST The first human habitation in Rock Township was the cabin built in section 22 by a hunter and trapper named Clark. It was only eight feet square, built of small poles. There its owner resided two seasons. The marriage of George B. Lovejoy_ to Mary Skinner, December 4, 1864, was probably the first marriage performed in the township. The first death was that of Nels, son of Peter and Sarah Nelson, September 5, 1860. The first birth in this township was that of Annie Marie, daughter of Peter and Sarah Nelson. The date was 1857. She married John Halverson, the photographer at St. Ansgar at one time. ROCK CREEK POSTOFFICE This was established in 1867. T....show more

Product details

  • Paperback | 192 pages
  • 189 x 246 x 10mm | 354g
  • Rarebooksclub.com
  • United States
  • English
  • black & white illustrations
  • 1236797078
  • 9781236797070