History of Lycoming County, Pennsylvania
This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can usually download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1892 edition. Excerpt: ...drawn by P. VV. Sheafer and published by the State Historical Society, the word is spelled Quinishahaguy. Pi0neers.--One of the leading and representative men within what is now the territory of V0odward during the stormy times of the Revolution and Indian invasion was Brattan Caldwell. He was a native of County Kildare, Ireland, and came to this country about 1770, landing at Philadelphia. The Hughes brothers had preceded him in 1769, and settled in Donegal, Lancaster county, where he joined them. Attracted by the fl-itt-ering reports of the fine lands on the West Branch, they came here in 1772 and settled west of Lycoming creek. They soon discovered that the lands were in dispute and that they were outside of the Province. In the party were the Toners, McClarin, Magee, James Hughes, and Brattan Caldwell. The latter located on the Indian path on a beautiful flat east of Pine run, near where the public road crosses that stream. There he erected a cabin and made some improvements. On the breaking out of Indian troubles he abandoned the place and his cabin was burned. ' In the winter of 1775 Caldwell married Miss Elcy, daughter of James Hughes. The marriage ceremony was performed at a cabin in Nippenose bottom by a justice of the peace, and the contracting parties and their friends crossed the river on the ice. The land on the south side of the river was in the Province, and a justice of Northumberland county could act there. This wedding is said to have been the first one that occurred in the settlements west of Lycoming creek, and the event was cause for a great jollification. Being outside the jurisdiction of the Province of Pennsylvania, and therefore having no laws for their protection and guidance, the settlers organized the Fair Play...
- 189 x 246 x 34mm | 1,161g
- 13 Sep 2013
- Illustrations, black and white