History of Lothian Buses

History of Lothian Buses

List price: US$41.00

Currently unavailable

Add to wishlist

AbeBooks may have this title (opens in new window).

Try AbeBooks

Description

Please note that the content of this book primarily consists of articles available from Wikipedia or other free sources online. Lothian Buses Plc is the only municipal bus company in Scotland and the largest provider of bus services in Edinburgh, Scotland. City of Edinburgh Council own 91% of the company with the remainder being owned by East Lothian, Midlothian and West Lothian councils. As well as serving Edinburgh, Lothian Buses also serve parts of East Lothian and Midlothian. The company is owned by all 4 councils and this has given rise to the slogan your locally owned buses although there are currently no services to West Lothian. Lothian Buses are registered in Annandale Street, Edinburgh as company number SC096849. The company can trace its history back to the Edinburgh Street Tramways Company of 1871, also involving at various times the tramway companies of Leith, Musselburgh and Edinburgh North. The City Council took over operation of the tramways in 1919, at which time most of the system was cable operated. Electrification of the tram network was completed in 1923, but the first motor buses had arrived in 1919. Tramway abandonment took place between 1950 and 1956, after which the operation became the Edinburgh Corporation Transport Department.show more

Product details

  • Paperback | 68 pages
  • 152 x 229 x 4mm | 113g
  • DIC Press
  • United States
  • English
  • 6135940244
  • 9786135940244