The History of Livingston County, Illinois; Containing a History of the County, Its Cities, Towns, &C.

The History of Livingston County, Illinois; Containing a History of the County, Its Cities, Towns, &C.

By (author) 

List price: US$50.49

Currently unavailable

Add to wishlist

AbeBooks may have this title (opens in new window).

Try AbeBooks

Description

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1878 edition. Excerpt: ...that have occurred in the county, happened here September 13, 1877. Three young men, Clark Cusick, Isaac Rummery and James Scovell, undertook the job of cleaning out an old well, on the farm of C. G. Cusick, formerly owned by Otho Pearre. The well was about thirty-five feet deep. Rummery was let down by means of a rope, and when within ten feet of the bottom, he let go of the rope and fell. Perceiving that an accident had occurred to their companion, Cusick hastened down to his relief, but had not been let down more than fifteen feet, when he also fell. Then young Scovell, who was a grandson of C. G. Cusick, was let down; but he fell before he had proceeded ten feet. Assistance was obtained as soon as possible, and some old well-diggers coming upon the spot pronounced the well infected with "damps," or carbonic acid gas. Burning straw being thrown into the well, and instantly being extinguished, proved their theory correct, and that the persons at the bottom were dead. Grappling irons were then brought into requisition, and three hours after the bodies had all been brought to the surface. The names of the parties will be recognized as descendants of some of the first settlers, and most esteemed citizens of the township. The accident cast a deep gloom over the whole community. The township of Newtown was organized April 6, 1858, by the election of Supervisor and other officers. This part of the county had, prior to this time, been set off as a voting precinct, with Judges of Election, Justice of the Peace and Constable, and was called the "New Michigan Precinct." Charles Decker, whose name will be recognized as one of the old settlers, had served in the capacity of Justice of the Peace from the establishing of the precinct in...show more

Product details

  • Paperback | 438 pages
  • 189 x 246 x 23mm | 776g
  • Rarebooksclub.com
  • Miami Fl, United States
  • English
  • black & white illustrations
  • 123655003X
  • 9781236550033