History of Hennepin County and the City of Minneapolis; Including the Explorers and Pioneers of Minnesota, by REV. Edward D. Neill, and Outlines of the History of Minnesota, by J. Fletcher Williams
This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1881 edition. Excerpt: ...He arrived in the spring of 1847. In June of this year, William A. Cheever obtained a claim near the present site of the University. Through him a negotiation was opened with parties from the East for a purchase of the water-power, which culminated July 10th, in the sale by Mr. Steele of nine-tenths of the waterpower of St. Anthony Falls to Hon. Robert Rantoul, Caleb Cushing and others for twelve thousand dollars, and measures were at once taken for the erection of mills. Mr. Ard Godfrey was secured from Maine to superintend the construction of a mill, and arrived in the fall of 1847. Mr. Jacob Fisher, of St. Croix, directed the first work in the construction of the dam previous to the arrival of Ard Godfrey. During this year John Kollins, Calvin A. Tuttle, Luther Patch and his son Edward, Sumner W. Farnham, Caleb D. Dorr, Robert W. Cummings, Charles W. Stimpson, R. P. Russell, John McDonald, Samuel Ferrald, Joseph and William R. Marshall, Daniel Stanchfield and others arrived. Luther Patch brought his wife and two daughters, who were the first resident white women at St. Anthony. Calvin Tuttle also brought his family. R. P. Russell brought a stock of goods from the Fort, where he had been since 1839, and, in connection with Mr. Tuttle, opened a small store, the first in St. Anthony, in a room of the log house on Mr. Steele's claim, occupied at the same time as a residence by Luther Patch and family. Under these favorable circumstances for acquaintance, it is not surprising that this history records the marriage of Mr. Russell and Miss Patch October 3d, 1848, the first wedding in St. Anthony. In the spring of 1849, William R. Marshall, afterward Governor of the state, established a small store in company with his brother Joseph M., in a building...
- Paperback | 536 pages
- 188.98 x 246.13 x 27.43mm | 948g
- 04 Jul 2012
- Miami Fl, United States
- black & white illustrations