History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Suffolk, and the Towns Near Its Borders

History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Suffolk, and the Towns Near Its Borders

By (author) 

List price: US$51.78

Currently unavailable

Add to wishlist

AbeBooks may have this title (opens in new window).

Try AbeBooks

Description

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1844 edition. Excerpt: ...is now lord of the manor of Reydon, but part of the soil belongs to Sir T. S. Gooch, J. Leman, Esq., anda few smaller owners. The Church (St. Margaret) is a small ancient structure, and is said to have had a chapel, which stood a mile further to the east. The benefice is a discharged vicarage, valued in K.B. at 13. 6s. 8d., and in 1835 at. 220. The Earl of Stradbroke is patron, and also impropriator of the great tithes; and the Rev. H. W. R. Bireh, M.A., of Southwold, is the incumbent. The tithes have recently been commuted for yearly moduses of. 410 to the impropriator, and. 218 to the vicar. The Church and Poor's Land comprises about 9a. mp., let for 9. 8s. per annum, which is applied in aid of the church and poor rates; together with dividends of 731. 5s. three per cent. Bank Annuities, left by the late Earl of Stradbroke, who died in 1827. Part of the land (3a. 2r. 9p.) is called Gravel Pit Piece. At the enclosure of the parish, in 1800, an allotment of 22a. was awarded to the poor, and is now let for about 18 a-year, which is distributed in coals. Haws Adam, shopr., shoemaker, parish clerk, and vict. Bear.Termyn James, gentleman. Strickland Mrs and Misses Eliz. and Agnes, Ret/don Hall Wright Wm. blacksmith FARMERS. Adams Wm. Bloom Samuel Cottingham L. O. Keen John Diver Thomas Holmes Leatherdale Wm.Freeman Thos. Mills John Pashley Wm. RUMBURGH, a scattered village and parish, 4 miles N.N.W. of Halesworth, and 6i miles S. of Bungay, contains 435 souls, and 1370 acres of land, rising boldly between two tributary streams of the Blythe, and including about half of a green, or common, of about 100 acres, which is partly in Wissett, and in which the copyholders are allowed to turn 109 head of cattle. The...show more

Product details

  • Paperback | 452 pages
  • 189 x 246 x 23mm | 803g
  • Rarebooksclub.com
  • Miami Fl, United States
  • English
  • black & white illustrations
  • 1236489667
  • 9781236489661