History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk, and the City and County of the City of Norwich; Comprising, Under a Lucid Arrangement of Subjects, a General Survey of the County of Norfolk, and the Diocese of Norwich with Separate

History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk, and the City and County of the City of Norwich; Comprising, Under a Lucid Arrangement of Subjects, a General Survey of the County of Norfolk, and the Diocese of Norwich with Separate

By (author) 

List price: US$54.20

Currently unavailable

Add to wishlist

AbeBooks may have this title (opens in new window).

Try AbeBooks

Description

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1845 edition. Excerpt: ...has in its parish 815 inhabitant!, and 1,966a. of land, of which called Lopham Park, belong to the Duke of Norfolk, the lord of the faoor, in which are numerous small copyholds, subject to arbitrary fines. This manor comprehends also South Lopham; and the two villages have k"g been famons for the manufacture of linen or hempen cloth; and though tot little yarn is now spun here by hand-wheels, here are about 100 looms employed in weaving sheeting, diaper, huckaback, &c, which are sold unbleached by the manufacturers, who hawk them in their own carts over this -id the adjacent counties. The Church (St. Nicholas) iB a large and baadaome structure, with a square tower; and the living is a rectory, valued in K.B. at 17. 0s. 5Jd., and in 1831, at 642, with that of South Lopham annexed to it, in the gift of G. H. Barrow, Esq., and incumbency of the Rev. Jas. Barrow, M.A. The benefice has a small rectorial manor in the to adjoining parishes, and must be held by a iellow of St. John's College, Cambridge. The tithes were commuted in 1845. Here is a small Wesleyan Chapel, built in 1811. Mary Williamson, in 1006, left 7a. 1r. 20p. of land, at Garboldisham, for apprenticing poor children, or clothing the poor of this l-rish. It is nowjlet for 14. 16s. The Fuel Allotment, 103a. 2r. Up., upon which the poor cut fuel, was awarded at the enclosure, in 1815. The Town Lands, partly purchased, and partly given by Roll. Rriagloe, in 1687, and other donors, consist of about 43a., in the parishes of Lopham, Garboldisuam, and Shelfanger. They are let, with two cottages, at rents amounting to 84 per annum, which is applied in the service of the church. Here is also a house and garden, occupied by several poor families, rent...show more

Product details

  • Paperback | 478 pages
  • 189 x 246 x 24mm | 844g
  • Rarebooksclub.com
  • Miami Fl, United States
  • English
  • Illustrations, black and white
  • 1236599772
  • 9781236599773