The History of Dubuque County, Iowa, Containing a History of the County, Its Cities, Towns, &C., Biographical Sketches of Citizens, War Record of Its

The History of Dubuque County, Iowa, Containing a History of the County, Its Cities, Towns, &C., Biographical Sketches of Citizens, War Record of Its

By (author) 

List price: US$57.53

Currently unavailable

Add to wishlist

AbeBooks may have this title (opens in new window).

Try AbeBooks

Description

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1880 edition. Excerpt: ... basement of Bishop Loras' residence, on Bluff street. The school was attended by J. P. Quigley, D. 0. C. Quigley, Hugh Treanor, Thomas Murray, Louis Latourelle, Dennis Langton, etc., etc. In 1841, a Mr. Hill succeeded Mr. Burr, in the basement of the Congregational Church. He is reported to have been a severe master, and, as a consequence, the boys were kept in better order than at any other establishment of the kind the town boasted of; indeed, he was regarded as a very formidable master, and, like the pupils of Thaddeus O'Gallager, if those in attendance failed to become patterns of learning and deportment, it was not due to his failure in administering the birch by way of admonitory reminders. In 1842, Hiram P. Leach opened a school in the same place, where he remained until the Methodist Church was erected, on the corner of Seventh and Locust streets, now occupied by a livery stable, when he removed thereto, occupying the basement. In 1843, or thereabouts, the first public school building, of brick, was put up on the lot where the present Third Ward School stands, into which, those assuming to know state, Mr. Leach removed, his accommodations in the Methodist Church being appropriated by F. E. Bissell, who taught, it is said, until the fall of about 1846, when he gave way to Mr. Rice and wife, who now reside at Bowen's Prairie. In 1848, Mr. Leach again taught school in the Baptist Church until about 1850, when he retired permanently, and accepted a position in the Surveyor General's office. During all these years efforts had been made to provide for the education of the young by statutory authority, the teachers being, in addition to those mentioned, Messrs. Cash, Farwell, etc. The First Legislative Assembly of Iowa, convened at Burlington, ..show more

Product details

  • Paperback | 514 pages
  • 189 x 246 x 26mm | 907g
  • Rarebooksclub.com
  • Miami Fl, United States
  • English
  • black & white illustrations
  • 1236506723
  • 9781236506726