History of the Diocese of Central Pennsylvania, 1871-1909, and the Diocese of Harrisburg, 1904-1909, Vol. 2 (Classic Reprint)
Excerpt from History of the Diocese of Central Pennsylvania, 1871-1909, and the Diocese of Harrisburg, 1904-1909, Vol. 2 In the year 1865 the Hon. Asa Packer, of Mauch Chunk, one of the most philanthropic and devoted Churchmen of his day, set apart one hundred and fifteen acres of ground, beautifully located in South Bethlehem, to which he appro priated the munificent sum of five hundred thousand dollars, for the purpose of establishing an institution of learning in the Lehigh Valley. This was the largest [sum of money ever given by a single individual up to this time, to the cause of education. Out of this magnificent gift arose the justly celebrated Lehigh University, which was incorporated by an act of the State Legislature in the year 1866. And hav ing, during his lifetime, had the pleasure of not only assist ing in shaping its policy, but also in seeing it grow into one of the greatest institutions in this country, Judge Packer, by his last will and testament, endowed the University to the amount of one million five hundred thousand dollars, and in addition to this he appropriated five hundred thousand dollars more as an endowment for the University Library. The ob ject of Judge Packer in founding this Institution was to afford young men a thorough technical, literary and scien tific education, which should give them a thorough prepara tion for the professions represented in the development of the peculiar resources of the surrounding country. And to accomplish this purpose, thorough instruction is liberally provided for in Civil, Mechanical, Metallurgical, Mining, Electrical and Chemical Engineering; also Electrometallurgy, Chemistry, and all needful collateral studies. A thoroughly equipped school of General Literature was also established. About the Publisher Forgotten Books publishes hundreds of thousands of rare and classic books. Find more at www.forgottenbooks.com This book is a reproduction of an important historical work. Forgotten Books uses state-of-the-art technology to digitally reconstruct the work, preserving the original format whilst repairing imperfections present in the aged copy. In rare cases, an imperfection in the original, such as a blemish or missing page, may be replicated in our edition. We do, however, repair the vast majority of imperfections successfully; any imperfections that remain are intentionally left to preserve the state of such historical works.
- Paperback | 526 pages
- 152 x 229 x 27mm | 694g
- 23 Feb 2018
- Forgotten Books
- 195 Illustrations; Illustrations, black and white