History of Dakota County and the City of Hastings; Including the Explorers and Pioneers of Minnesota, by REV. Edward D. Neill, and Outlines of the History of Minnesota, by J. Fletcher Williams

History of Dakota County and the City of Hastings; Including the Explorers and Pioneers of Minnesota, by REV. Edward D. Neill, and Outlines of the History of Minnesota, by J. Fletcher Williams

By (author) 

List price: US$22.40

Currently unavailable

Add to wishlist

AbeBooks may have this title (opens in new window).

Try AbeBooks

Description

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can usually download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1881 edition. Excerpt: ...three wings; the first 22x65 feet, the second 20x50 feet, and the third 20x22 feet, with an engine house of stone in addition, 20x30 feet. The engine is of 25 horse-power, and was manufactured at the Star Works in Hastings. It is a double engine, having two cylinders, each seven inches in diameter, with a 12-inch stroke. The boiler is twelve feet long, and has thirty 3-inch fiues. The supply of water is froma well in the boiler-house, drilled in the solid rock to a depth of sixty-five feet, and having a 6-inch diameter. The machine work is almost entirely done on the first floors. In the first wing below are two planers, a mortiser_ one sand-papering machine, one moulder, two blind machines, one scroll saw, two cut-off saws, two circular saws and a turning lathe. The second room below contains a matching and resawing machine; while the third room is used entirely for putting up sash and doors. In the second story are two rooms, one used for the storing of finished work. and the other for the making of that work itself. In the latter room is aboring machine, a shaping machine, and.a cutting-ofi saw. The Bell Bros. usually employ from ten to fifteen hands. Besides their jobbing orders they also do a large retail business, and are the principal undertakers in the city. Their furniture store is located at the corner of Third and Vermillion streets, and is of brick, 22x90 feet and two stories high. Besides sales rooms this building also contains the company's oflice. This company began operations eleven years ago under the name of Bell, Rhodes and Co., at the corner of Second and Eddy streets. In 1871 the firm became A. B. Bell and Co., and in 1875, Bell Bros. built the factory, and in the fall of the same year, the furniture store above...show more

Product details

  • Paperback | 384 pages
  • 189 x 246 x 20mm | 685g
  • Rarebooksclub.com
  • United States
  • English
  • black & white illustrations
  • 1236923863
  • 9781236923868