The History of the County of Lincoln; From the Earliest Period to the Present Time Volume 1

The History of the County of Lincoln; From the Earliest Period to the Present Time Volume 1

By (author) 

List price: US$29.22

Currently unavailable

Add to wishlist

AbeBooks may have this title (opens in new window).

Try AbeBooks

Description

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1833 edition. Excerpt: ...back is the appearance of an aperture, now blocked up. Following the close wall eastward are two castellets, or watch towers, each of which had two floors, the lower ones vaulted, and surmounted by flat roofs; they have battlements, and the walls are pierced with loop holes; these stand at the corners of the chancellor's garden. From the eastern of these towers the wall returns to Pottergate, so called from the Roman pottery once here. The south front of this gate is much defaced, but the north front is tolerably perfect, embattled and handsome. In the south wall, a little to the west of Pottergate, on the summit of the Gres-stone, improperly denominated the Grecian Stairs, is the remains of a postern, but which possesses little architectural beauty. The deanery was founded by Dean, afterwards Bishop, Gravesend, in 1254. The gatehouse of it was built by Dean Fleming, whose arms are on it. The front next the minster has the initials of Roger Parker over the bow window, and the date 1616. To this adjoins an ancient building, called the works chantry, till 1321 the chancellor's house, when the present residence was assigned to Chancellor Beke. It was afterwards the habitation of four chantry priests, who were to celebrate daily mass for the souls of the founders and benefactors. The Vicars' College, now called the Old Vicars, formed a quadrangle, of which at present there remains only four good houses, inhabited by the vicars. The gateway is ornamented with the old arms of France and England, quarterly between a cross botone, and a fess between six cross crosslets. "This college," Gough says, " was begun by Bishop Sutton, whose executors finished the hall, kitchen, and several chambers. But the style of building would induce me te...show more

Product details

  • Paperback | 208 pages
  • 189 x 246 x 11mm | 381g
  • Rarebooksclub.com
  • Miami Fl, United States
  • English
  • black & white illustrations
  • 1236620992
  • 9781236620996