History of the Counties of McKean, Elk, Cameron and Potter, Pennsylvania; With Biographical Selections; Including Their Early Settlement and Development; A Description of the Historic and Interesting Localities; Sketches of Their Cities,

History of the Counties of McKean, Elk, Cameron and Potter, Pennsylvania; With Biographical Selections; Including Their Early Settlement and Development; A Description of the Historic and Interesting Localities; Sketches of Their Cities,

By (author) 

List price: US$22.39

Currently unavailable

Add to wishlist

AbeBooks may have this title (opens in new window).

Try AbeBooks

Description

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can usually download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1890 edition. Excerpt: ...The festivals of the church and the national holidays were always regularly kept. Many an inhabitant of Elk, and even adjoining counties will remember the 4th of July which they celebrated in common with the inhabitants. In the spring of the year 1848 Benzinger and Eschbach took into partnership William A. Stokes, a renowned lawyer from Philadelphia, who came to St. Mary's with his family on the 4th of July, in the same year, with the intention of making his residence in the colony. He commenced to clear the Roselay farm, about four miles east of St. Mary's, and to build a mansion on it. His wife, being in delicate health when he came here, died about a year after their arrival, so he sold out in the fall of 1849 and returned to Philadelphia. Rev. J. L. Y. Cartuyvels became his successor in partnership, and finished the clearing and building of the Roselay farm. The church and parsonage, which was built, in 1845, was situate in the triangle formed by Centre, Markus and Cross streets, and was destroyed by fire, with all its contents, on the 10th of May, 1859, in the day time, the origin of the fire being unknown. This was a sorrowful day for the inhabitants of St. Mary's, but they did not despair. Preparations were soon made to build another and more substantial church nearer the center of the town. The place was selected in a dense forest, but willing hands had it soon cleared; materials were prepared and collected, and on the 27th of J une, 1852, it was so far advanced as to have the corner-stone laid. The work went on gradually so that on the 8th of December, 1853, the church was opened. Municipal Afiairs.--The town of St. Mary's was incorporated by special act of the legislature, March 3, 1848. Ignatius Garner...show more

Product details

  • Paperback | 668 pages
  • 188.98 x 246.13 x 34.04mm | 1,174.8g
  • Rarebooksclub.com
  • United States
  • English
  • black & white illustrations
  • 1236825462
  • 9781236825469
  • 2,316,299