History of the Connecticut Valley in Massachusetts

History of the Connecticut Valley in Massachusetts

By (author) 

List price: US$20.61

Currently unavailable

Add to wishlist

AbeBooks may have this title (opens in new window).

Try AbeBooks

Description

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can usually download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1879 edition. Excerpt: ...controlled the market of the world; to-day the National Company's needles do so, and are known in every quarter of the globe where the sewing-machine is heard of. Most of the stock of the company is held by Springfield parties. The superintendent of the works is John Berry, formerly of Barney 8: Berry, skate manufacturers. R. r. uswxms' mos-woaxs. Few establishments are more widely known than R. F. Hawkins' Iron-Works, on Liberty Street. Mr. Hawkins came to this city from Lowell when a child, and has devoted the best portion of his life to his business, which embraces the manufacture of steam-boilers, pumps, iron-and brass-castings, machinery, mill-work, and bridges. The works were established by Stone & Harris, in 1846, for the especial manufacture of the Howe truss bridge. To them have been added from time to time the other branches. Mr. Hawkins went into the ofiice of Stone & Harris when sixteen years old; became a partner of D. L. Harris, their successor, in 1868, and took the business for himself in 1868. Most of the earlier railroad and highway bridges, enginehouses, car-houses, and turn-tables in New England were built by this establishment. The boiler-making and extensive foundry business of the concern make an important element in the business of the city, and bring in a large amount of work from abroad. I. H. BABNEY, MANUFACTURER OF THF. FAMOUS BARNEY Q. BERRY SKATE, is located at the foot of Broad Street. This skate business was first started by Barney dz Berry in 1864, Mr. Berry retiring from the firm in 1869. The first skates made were manufactured at what is now the Papier-mache 'Vorks, at Pecowsic; but in 1865 the works were moved up to Main Street, near the junction with Mill River, and on...show more

Product details

  • Paperback
  • 189 x 246 x 35mm | 1,207g
  • Rarebooksclub.com
  • United States
  • English
  • black & white illustrations
  • 1236749634
  • 9781236749635