History of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania; Civil, Political and Military from Its Earliest Settlement to the Present Time, Including Historical Descriptions of Each County in the State, Their Towns, and Industrial Resources

History of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania; Civil, Political and Military from Its Earliest Settlement to the Present Time, Including Historical Descriptions of Each County in the State, Their Towns, and Industrial Resources

By (author) 

List price: US$22.40

Currently unavailable

Add to wishlist

AbeBooks may have this title (opens in new window).

Try AbeBooks

Description

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can usually download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1883 edition. Excerpt: ...of their children, and a school was established in the block-house, to which allusion has been made, situated on the triangular lot at the corner of Water street and Steer's alley. It was originally built for defence, was of logs, twostories in height, surmounted by a sentry box; the second-story projecting over the first, and was provided with a cannon. This building stood until 1828. The lot was donated by the founder for school purposes. David Mead was the first justice, and the Governor having failed to provide him with one, he acted as his own constable. He had served as justice in the Wyoming settlement, and continued to hold that ofiice until 1799, when he was made associate judge. Prior to the year 1773, all this section of the colony, held under the charter of King Charles II., though not yet purchased from the Indians, formed a part of the county of Bedford. At that date the county of Westmoreland was organized, and this portion of the State, by that act, was embraced in its limits. In September. 1788, the county of Allegheny was organized, which was made to embrace all the territory north and west of the Ohio and Allegheny rivers. Till the end of the century it remained thus. By an act of the Legislature of the 12th of March, 1800, the county of Crawford was erected and was made to embrace all the north-western portion of the State, including Erie, Warren, Venango, and Mercer, with the county seat at Meadville. Erie became a separate county on the 2d of April, 1803, and Venango and Warren, April 1, 1805. It was named for the unfortunate General William Crawford, who was burned by the Indians at Sandusky, on the 11th of June, 1782. What finally became Crawford county was entirely surrounded by the parts thus stricken off, ...show more

Product details

  • Paperback | 610 pages
  • 189 x 246 x 31mm | 1,075g
  • Rarebooksclub.com
  • United States
  • English
  • black & white illustrations
  • 1236956109
  • 9781236956101