A History of the Castles, Mansions, and Manors of Western Sussex

A History of the Castles, Mansions, and Manors of Western Sussex

By (author) 

List price: US$19.86

Currently unavailable

We can notify you when this item is back in stock

Add to wishlist

AbeBooks may have this title (opens in new window).

Try AbeBooks

Description

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1876 edition. Excerpt: ... the dungeon still to be seen at the manor house. f The Caprons are an ancient family, and appear to have resided for many generations in a moated house in Ambersham, adjoining Lodsworth. Anthony Capron (5th in descent from Thos. Capron, of Ambtrsham Manor, who d. 1543), was born in 1697, m. 1733 Elizabeth Lee, and d. 1735, leaving an only son, Anthony Capron, who m. Anne Vincent, and d. 18 rt, leaving an only son, Anthony, b. 1762, m. 1796, Margaret, yt. dau. of Richard Hasler. He assumed the name of Hollist in 1833, and was succeeded at his death in 1836 by his only son, Hasler Hollist, late of Lodsworth House. (See Burke's Landed Gentry.) In the Act ol Parliament it is styled "Fuseley or Filzlee," and estimated at about 120 acres. ROTHERBRIDGK HuND. Mr. M. A. Lower.considers that in the ancient spelling of the name of this Hist, of Sussex. parish--Lodekersale, Lotegershale, &c.--we have a clue to its derivation, and that in Saxon times it contained the hall of one Leodgar or Leger. There is no manor co-extensive with the parish, but the latter is partitioned between the two manors of Diddlesfold and River or River shall. Descended from William Yaldwyn, living in 1330, and probably of Saxon ancestry. The present representative possesses many early deeds relating to lands held by the Yaldwyns from the reign of Edward III. downwards. + The friend of Addison and others. We feel some doubt in assigning to him the place in the pedigree which Mr. Lower seems to claim for him. Diddlesfold extends also into the adjoining parishes of Petworth, Heyshott, Sutton and North Chapel. It was given by Queen Adeliza, Dowager of Henry I., to the Abbey of Reading, and formed part of the endowment of that house until its suppression. It seems then to...show more

Product details

  • Paperback | 154 pages
  • 187.96 x 243.84 x 12.7mm | 158.76g
  • Rarebooksclub.com
  • Miami Fl, United States
  • English
  • Illustrations, black and white
  • 1236513681
  • 9781236513687