The History and Antiquities of the Parish of Islington
This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can usually download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1829 edition. Excerpt: ...the patients entered to attend divine service; and it is said to have been so contrived, that when in the chapel they could neither see nor be seen by the rest of the audience.' This hospital continued to be used as an appendage to St. Bartholomew's until the committee recommended (Jan. 27, 1757) " convenience in the new wing for the foul patients, and " afterwards no more to be received in the out houses."" It appears that the building was now let to some other use; but a petition was presented, Feb. 17, 176i, by Mr. Cooksou, Chaplain to the Lock, from the inhabitants at Kiugsland, praying " he might continue the duty for their accommodation as then" tofore." The committee afterwards ordered " that Mr. '-' Cooksou should have the use of the chapel as desired, on." paying a yearly acknowledgement of 6d. into the poor's-box, " with leave to take down the patients' pew in the gallery, and " raise the seats, at his expense, under the direction of the " hospital surveyor."-' ' ' ' Records of St. l3artholomevv's Hospital. ' In the survey of this manor, 1611, it is called " Kingsland Spittlc," ('Spital) an abbreviation of Hospital. 3 Party per pale, Arg. and Sab. a chevron countcrchanged. 4' Lond. and Environs, vol. III. p. 283. ' Records of St. Barthol. Hosp. From this time the ofiice of chaplain was discontinued, and Mr. Cookson being no longer upon the establishment, was, by way of recompence, permitted to have free use of the chapel, keeping the same in repair, and to receive what stipend he could collect from the persons attending public worship in the place. In this manner the chapel has been...
- Paperback | 132 pages
- 189 x 246 x 7mm | 249g
- 13 Sep 2013
- Illustrations, black and white