The History of the Ancient Town and Borough of Uxbridge; Containing Copies of Interesting Public Documents, and a Particular Account of All Charitable Donations

The History of the Ancient Town and Borough of Uxbridge; Containing Copies of Interesting Public Documents, and a Particular Account of All Charitable Donations

By (author) 

List price: US$19.99

Currently unavailable

Add to wishlist

AbeBooks may have this title (opens in new window).

Try AbeBooks

Description

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1818 edition. Excerpt: ... Worcester, and his successors. A Vicarage was endowed in Nov. 1281; the advowson still remaining in the Bishop of London. Lloyd, in his Thesaurus Ecclesiasticus, classes this vicarage among those discharged from the payment of first fruits, and gives the clear yearly value at one hundred pounds, and the yearly tenths at one pound twelve shillings. The interior of the Chapel, though capacious, is neither elegant nor" commodious. There is a gallery at the western end, built in the year 1716. The Chapel was ceiled and beautified in the year 1734, during the wardenship of "William Cowper and George Harman, and further adorned in 1771 by John Medlam and Joseph Busby, Chapel-wardens. An Organ was erected in 1815, by voluntary subscriptions: the total amount of the expense was two hundred and forty-one pounds. The following are the inscriptions on the Branches in the Chapel: "Christofer Blunt and John Harmond Chappell Wardens 1695." "This branch is ye gift of Mr. Robert Burton Whitesmith in Lond." to ye Chvrch of Vxbridge for euer, and the iron work is ye gift of Mr. Jos. Winch White smith of Vxbridge 1735 Wm. Cowper Geo. Harman Ch Wardens" Vicars. The following list of the Vicars of Hillingdon may be interesting to the curious. The first list is previous to the time when the chapel of St. Margaret was annexed to the Vicarage. The Vicarage of Hillingdon, with the Chapel of Uxbridge annexed. 1469 Hen. Russell 1483 Joh. Lawrence 1471 Ric. Barnard 1486 Mart. Cokks 1477 Tho. Mandeville 1490 Tho. Perkylle 1480 Joh. Newsam 1490 Tho. Russell 1481 Tho. Kerver Ric. Watts We find that Mr. Philip Taverner was appointed to this Vicarage by the Lords Commissioners in 1650. He was subsequently ejected for non-conformity. With two...show more

Product details

  • Paperback | 76 pages
  • 189 x 246 x 4mm | 154g
  • Rarebooksclub.com
  • Miami Fl, United States
  • English
  • black & white illustrations
  • 1236543785
  • 9781236543783