History of the 89th Division, U. S. A; From Its Organization in 1917, Through Its Operations in the World War, the Occupation of Germany and Until Demobilization in 1919

History of the 89th Division, U. S. A; From Its Organization in 1917, Through Its Operations in the World War, the Occupation of Germany and Until Demobilization in 1919

List price: US$32.10

Currently unavailable

Add to wishlist

AbeBooks may have this title (opens in new window).

Try AbeBooks

Description

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1920 edition. Excerpt: ... difficulties, of course, had to be overcome by improvisation of facilities. Text books on many subjects were lacking through transportation and other difficulties from the rear. French lessons for a time were given from the French page of the European edition of the New York Herald. Tables of logarithms for the trigonometry classes were mimeographed from Engineers Field Manuals. Copies of the Tauchnitz Edition of English Classics were purchased in Trier, Coblenz and Cologne, a few at a place, until enough were obtained for the literature classes. Mechanical drawing instruments were acquired in the same way. CHANGES IN ORGANIZATION During the period of the occupation, some slight changes in the organization of the Division occurred. The military police were reorganized as the 89th Division Military Police Company, in conformity to changes in the regulations governing the organization of the Army. Under the quartermaster were placed the following attached organizations: Salvage Squad No. 1; Laundry Unit No. 354; Bakery Company No. 349; Clothing and Bath Unit No. 326; Sales Commissary Unit No. 5. In the medical department, the Divisional Medical Supply Unit was established; and the 314th Mobile Veterinary Section was attached. The American Post Office No. 761 had long been the Divisional post office. Service Park Units Numbers 390 and 397 were also attached to the Division. COLLECTION OF ABANDONED WAR MATERIAL Large quantities of German war material remained in the area, having been abandoned by the German Army on its retreat. This consisted principally of artillery ammunition, trucks and horses. The location of this material was ascertained by the Kreis commanders and it was collected by the ammunition train under the supervision of G-l, placed at...show more

Product details

  • Paperback | 240 pages
  • 189 x 246 x 13mm | 435g
  • Rarebooksclub.com
  • Miami Fl, United States
  • English
  • black & white illustrations
  • 1236626710
  • 9781236626714