The Historic Mansions and Buildings of Philadelphia with Some Notice of Their Owners and Occupants Volume 286,

The Historic Mansions and Buildings of Philadelphia with Some Notice of Their Owners and Occupants Volume 286,

By (author) 

List price: US$22.40

Currently unavailable

Add to wishlist

AbeBooks may have this title (opens in new window).

Try AbeBooks

Description

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can usually download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1877 edition. Excerpt: ...decided to be superannuated. It is a very ancient piece. It bears the date 1725, and has upon it in German the legend, "To God be the Honor." For nearly one hundred years this was the only bell at Germantown, and during that period it faithfully summoned the congregation and gave notice to others who were within the circumference of its sound. Fifty years ago the bell-ringer, Jake Stroup, was avillage character, and well known to every man, woman, and child in Germantown. "Indian Jake" they called him--not because in his veins coursed the blood of the noble aborigine, for he could trace back his pedigree to the times of Daniel Pastorius. He was of good old German descent, but his bountiful use of the bottle, rendered his countenance as fiery in hue as that of the wildest painted Indian. "Jake," however, rarely allowed pleasure to interfere with business. He was a model sexton, ready in church or graveyard as duty demanded. The old bell was never neglected, and under his style of ringing the Germantown town-boys declared that it constantly rung out the unchanging refrain--" 1n-jun Jake Drove z1. stake. Melchior Ming, Church is in." The Mings or Mengs were an old Germantown family, and Melchior during Jake's time was a well-known church dignitary. The bell was removed by Mr. Wister to his garden, where it remained many years, the original owners caring nothing about it. But things change even in Germantown, and although much has come in and pushed out the old the successors of the elders and church authorities who got rid of the bell begged its restoration. The present Charles J. Wister acceded to this request, and in 1875 the bell went back again to the church--not to occupy its old position...show more

Product details

  • Paperback | 206 pages
  • 189 x 246 x 11mm | 376g
  • Rarebooksclub.com
  • United States
  • English
  • black & white illustrations
  • 1236835859
  • 9781236835857