The Haves and the Have Nots : The Abuse of Power and Privilege in the Workplace ... and How to Control It
- Hardback | 208 pages
- 157.5 x 237.2 x 20.8mm | 517.1g
- 01 Sep 2002
- Pearson Education (US)
- FINANCIAL TIMES PRENTICE HALL
- Upper Saddle River, United States
Other books in this series
14 Sep 2003
27 Nov 2003
Table of contents
1. Messages from Bosses to Employees: Arrogance and Alienation in Organizations.
Above and Beyond Job Descriptions. Identification's Future. Managing Us versus Managing Them. Mistaking What for How. Moving Toward We: The Three Rs of Work Life.
2. The First R-Rewards: Compensating Privilege.
More Than Money. Compensating Privilege. Privileges, Profits, and Shareholder Interest. Bonuses for Bungling. Recruitment and Retention. What's Fair? Rewarding We.
3. The Second R-Respect: Working with Authority.
We Rules. Micromanaging. The Boss Club. It-Is-All-Business. The Issue Is Displacement, Not Unemployment, Stupid! Sacrificing Them. With All Due Respect. Communication. Organization Support-Plans for Training and Education. Exploration of Alternatives.
4. The Third R-Recognition: Voice Lessons.
Voice and Productivity. Voice and Work Relationships. Voice and Employee Well Being. Voice Recognition. Not Voice Alone. Charisma and Voice.
5. What Money Can't Buy, and How to Buy It: Changing Bosses' Messages.
Managing the Three Rs: Rewards. Managing the Three Rs: Respect. Managing the Three Rs: Recognition.
6. Bonds of We, Barriers of They: Binding Fractures.
Promotive Tension. We Are Better. Employee Theft. We-Boosting: Elevating Our Status by Diminishing Theirs.
7. Affirming Employees: To Us from Them.
Affirm Employees as Contributors. Affirm Employees as Workers. Affirm Employees as Members of Outside Groups. Affirm Employees as Individuals with Physical and Psychological Needs. Paternalism: Making Them into Our Burden. What We Guarantees.
About Harvey Hornstein
His eight books include Cruelty and Kindness: A New Look at Aggression and Altruism, Managing Human Forces in Organizations, Managerial Courage: Revitalizing Your Organization Without Sacrificing Your Job, and Brutal Bosses and Their Prey: How to Identify and Overcome Abuse in the Workplace.