Harriman (Erie Railroad Station)

Harriman (Erie Railroad Station)

List price: US$49.00

Currently unavailable

Add to wishlist

AbeBooks may have this title (opens in new window).

Try AbeBooks

Description

Please note that the content of this book primarily consists of articles available from Wikipedia or other free sources online. Harriman Station, formerly known as Turner Station until 1910 was the first station on the Erie Railroad Main Line west of Newburgh Junction tower in Harriman, New York. Built on the side of Grove Street in Harriman, the station depot was constructed originally as Turner Station in 1838, as a three story hotel-train station combination. This station caught fire in 1873 and was replaced by a one-story wooden structure. That structure survived as long as its predecessor before it began decaying and was replaced in 1911 with a new station on land donated by the widow of Edward Henry Harriman. A new one-story structure was built on the land. The station was maintained as a one-story depot with a large monument to the side dedicated to the work of Charles Minot. Minot was a director of the Erie Railroad who, in 1851, while his train was stopped at Turner, made the first railroad call by telegraph.show more

Product details

  • Paperback | 92 pages
  • 152 x 229 x 6mm | 145g
  • Ject Press
  • United States
  • English
  • 6135954938
  • 9786135954937