A Guide to Ripon, Fountains Abbey, Harrogate, Brimham Rocks, Bolton Priory, Hackfall, Tanfield, Newby Hall, and Several Places of Interest in the Vicinity
This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1885 edition. Excerpt: ... were in Ripon and the appurtenant township of Bondgate, 1746 houses, and 7390 inhabitants, being an increase of 516 inhabitants since the census of 1871. A Spacious stone building, designed in the Tudor style, by Mr. Railton, occupies a slight eminence about a mile northwest of the city, commanding agreeable prospects down the valleys of the Laver and the Yore, as well as of the cathedral and the city. The foundation stone was laid by the bishop of Ripon, on the 1st of October, 1838, and the structure was prepared for his reception in the autumn of 1841. The appurtenant demesne, which adjoins the ancient manorial park of the archbishop of York, contains one hundred and nine acres, and was gratuitously ceded by Mrs. Lawrence, the lessee of that prelate, who also provided the building stone. A small chapel had been originally included among the apartments of the palace, but a disposition having been manifested by the inhabitants of a neighbouring hamlet to attend the services that were more particularly intended for the bishop's household, archbishop Harcourt, who had witnessed the inconvenience of their number, and their inability regularly to visit the parish church, munificently i placed the sum of 3000/. at the disposal of the bishop of Eipon, wherewith to erect a more suitable structure. A site having been accordingly chosen on the east side of the palace, the foundation of a chapel, designed by Mr. Railton, in the perpendicular style, was laid on the 24th of June, 1846. A brass fixed in the north wall is thus inscribed: &b Dei GHIoriam in Xto franc GEapellam in usum lEptscopor' UUp' funtiabtt lEbuartms Slrcbtep' fEbor', (c)arolo &o: lEpiscopo. Hi. 1847. The eastern semi-hexagonal apse of the chapel has three windows of stained.
- Paperback | 46 pages
- 189 x 246 x 3mm | 100g
- 04 Jul 2012
- Miami Fl, United States
- Illustrations, black and white