Excerpt from The Glasgow Medical Journal, Vol. 30: July to December, 1888
Freeland, rendered possible the carrying out of the original plans, and as a consequence, the doubling of the accommoda tion for patients. The erection of the new buildings was commenced in July, 1879, and the completed Freeland wing was formally opened on lst June, 1881. A separate pavilion for the nurses, connected with the main corridor of the infirmary by a covered passage, was included in this extension. An erysipelas house, standing quite apart from all other buildings, and having accommodation for its own nurses, was afterwards built, and was opened in January, 1883.
Description - The Western Infirmary stands on the highest portion of grounds upwards of 10 acres in extent, and the site, in itself a valuable one, is much enhanced by its direct continuity with the open rounds of the University and the West End Park. The bufiding itself occupies about three fourths of an acre, and consists of a central portion, containing the operating theatre, rooms for the resident medical staff, the kitchen, and also two wards; and two wings composed entirely of wards arranged in the form of pavilions, these wings being connected with one another and with the main building by three long corridors. The whole building is three storeys high, but owing to the slope of the ground, room has been found for the store, drug dispensary, receiving room for in patients, and the whole out-patient department, on a ground ﬂoor below the level of the main corridor and front entrance. The ward pavilions Open at one end upon an open space or ball, which practically isolates the wards on the same flat from one another. The other three sides of most of the wards are freely exposed to the outer air, thereby ensuring cross ventilation.
About the Publisher
Forgotten Books publishes hundreds of thousands of rare and classic books. Find more at www.forgottenbooks.com
This book is a reproduction of an important historical work. Forgotten Books uses state-of-the-art technology to digitally reconstruct the work, preserving the original format whilst repairing imperfections present in the aged copy. In rare cases, an imperfection in the original, such as a blemish or missing page, may be replicated in our edition. We do, however, repair the vast majority of imperfections successfully; any imperfections that remain are intentionally left to preserve the state of such historical works.show more