Georgia; Her Resources and Possibilities

Georgia; Her Resources and Possibilities

List price: US$24.49

Currently unavailable

Add to wishlist

AbeBooks may have this title (opens in new window).

Try AbeBooks

Description

This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1895 edition. Excerpt: ...and the Mechanic Arts. Two thousand dollars was given it by the State in 1881 to enable the trustees to establish free tuition, and $3,000 in 1883 for repairing the buildings. Dr. William Terrell of Hancock county in 1854 bequeathed $20,000 to the University; in 1873 the city of Athens gave the institution $25,000 for the erection of Moore College; in 1883 Senator Joseph E. Brown gave the trustees $50,000, invested in 7 per cent. bonds of the State of Georgia, the interest to be devoted to educating worthy young men too poor to pay their way. In 1866 the State of Georgia, by legislative enactment, accepted the gift from the United States of 30,000 acres of land for each Senator and Representative in Congress. In 1872 Governor James M. Smith transferred the fund arising from the sale of the lauds to the trustees of the University of Georgia, and in May, 1872, the trustees opened and established the Georgia State College of Agriculture and Mechanic Arts as an integral part of the University of Georgia, controlled by its trustees and presided over by its chancellor. The Medical College of Augusta in 1873 became one of the departments of the University of Georgia. Branch colleges were established at Dahlonega, Milledgeville, Cuthbert and Thomasville. Emory College, at Oxford, was founded in 1837. It has furnished the State and country at large with leading men in all ranks of public and private life. The college bears a distinguished reputation for thoroughness and for making higher education possible to young men of limited means. It is under the control of the Methodist Episcopal Church South. Mercer University, now located at Macon, was organized in 1838 as Mercer Institute in the town of Penfield. It is under the control of the Georgia Baptist...show more

Product details

  • Paperback | 158 pages
  • 189 x 246 x 9mm | 295g
  • Rarebooksclub.com
  • Miami Fl, United States
  • English
  • black & white illustrations
  • 1236538595
  • 9781236538598