Flatbush of Today

Flatbush of Today

By (author) 

List price: US$13.06

Currently unavailable

Add to wishlist

AbeBooks may have this title (opens in new window).

Try AbeBooks


This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can usually download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1908 edition. Excerpt: ...Flatbush Taxpayers' Association, having been its president for two terms and chairman of its Executive Committee for four years. He is a member of the Midwood, Knickerbocker Field and Cortelyou Clubs of Flatbush, the Crescent Club, and the Ohio State Society of New York. In politics he is a Republican, and is president of the Eighteenth Assembly District Republican Club, and vice-president of the County General Committee. He is a member of the Brooklyn League, and has worked for years in the interest of better transportation and other civic needs. He is one of the founders of St. Mark's M. E. Church, and is a director in the Flatbush Co-operative Building and Loan Association, Kings County Mortgage Company, and City Savings Bank. tion following the incorporation of the Germania Real Estate and Improve ment Company in May, 1892, by Henry A. Meyer, August W. Schmidt, Henry W, Dreyer and John F. Dreyer. The corporation was engaged in the development of several farms in Queens County when it had its attention drawn to Bergen Island. The company had no thought then of entering upon the development of Flatbush farmlands and made every preparation incidental to a purchase of Bergen Island, when Henry A. Meyer, in going over the field. determined that the Vanderveer farm ofiered an unusual opportunity for a real estate development. Although Mr. Meyer's partners at first were unable to see the opportunity in the same light that he did, they were finally won over, and forty-three acres, bounded on Avenue C on the north, Avenue D on the south, Rogers Avenue on the east and Brooklyn Avenue on the west, were bought at $1,500 an acre and the contract was signed on August 26, 1892. The name Vanderveer Park was at once decided upon as...show more

Product details

  • Paperback | 68 pages
  • 189 x 246 x 4mm | 141g
  • Rarebooksclub.com
  • United States
  • English
  • black & white illustrations
  • 1236887352
  • 9781236887351