- Attention-grabbing anecdotes open the first chapter and help draw in reluctant readers.
- Exciting on-site photography puts the reader where the action is.
- Series features include photos, diagrams, glossary, and resources.
Grades 5-8 Standards for Social Studies
- Explore the ways people and societies address similar human needs & concerns
Time, Continuity, & Change
- Compare different accounts about past events/situations and identify how they contribute to our understanding of the past
Power, Authority, & Governance
- Describe the ways nations respond to forces of unity/diversity affecting order/security
- Explain conditions that contribute to conflict & cooperation within nations
Science, Technology, & Society
- Show how science/technology have changed perceptions of social world, such as in their relationship to economic needs, wants, and security
- Analyze examples of interdependence among groups, societies, nations
- Explore causes, effects, solutions to persistent global issues such as health & security
Grades 5-8 Science Standards
Earth & Space Science
- Structure of the Earth System & Earth's History
Science in Personal and Social Perspectives
- Develop understanding of personal health; populations, resources, and environments; natural hazards; risks and benefits; science and technology in societyshow more