Excerpt from First Report of the Public Record Commission of New Jersey, 1899 The undersigned, having been appointed by the Governor, July, 1897, the Public Record Commission authorized by Chap ter 105, of the Laws of 1897, entitled An Act in relation to pub lic records in this State, approved April 9, 1897, respectfully re port to your Excellency: Although the Eastern and Western Divisions of New Jer sey were united into one Province, under a Royal Governor, in 1702, each Division retained its own capital, at Perth Amboy and Burlington, respectively, where the records relating to each were kept, and where the Legislature held alternate sessions, as a rule. When the seat of government of the State of New Jersey was located at Trenton, by act of the Legislature passed November 25, 1790, the records of conveyances and of wills were transferred from Burlington and Perth Amboy to Trenton, as soon as proper quarters were provided for them at the new capital. The records of warrants and surveys were retained in the offices of the Registers of East and West Jersey, respectively, at Perth Amboy and Burlington. About the Publisher Forgotten Books publishes hundreds of thousands of rare and classic books. Find more at www.forgottenbooks.com This book is a reproduction of an important historical work. Forgotten Books uses state-of-the-art technology to digitally reconstruct the work, preserving the original format whilst repairing imperfections present in the aged copy. In rare cases, an imperfection in the original, such as a blemish or missing page, may be replicated in our edition. We do, however, repair the vast majority of imperfections successfully; any imperfections that remain are intentionally left to preserve the state of such historical works.