Fairlop Loop

Fairlop Loop

Edited by 

List price: US$49.00

Currently unavailable

Add to wishlist

AbeBooks may have this title (opens in new window).

Try AbeBooks

Description

Please note that the content of this book primarily consists of articles available from Wikipedia or other free sources online. The Fairlop Loop was a 6.5-mile branch line of the Great Eastern Railway. It opened to freight on 20 April 1903 and to passengers on 1 May 1903. It connected Woodford on the Ongar branch to Ilford on the Main Line, along with an eastward freight connection for freight, excursions and stock transfers to Seven Kings. Today it is the greater part of the Hainault Loop on London Underground's Central line, the remainder consisting of a 4.1-mile deep-level underground line connecting Newbury Park on the loop with Leytonstone on the Ongar branch. The GER built the line to foster suburban growth in Edwardian Ilford and Chigwell; the results were mixed. Hainault station had so few passengers that it closed between 1908 and 1930. The loop passed to the London and North Eastern Railway in 1923 after the grouping of railways into The Big Four. The LNER added a station at Roding Valley in 1936 to serve a housing development. Most of the route transferred to the Central line of the London Transport Executive during 1947 and 1948 as part of the war-delayed New Works Programme.show more

Product details

  • Paperback | 92 pages
  • 152 x 229 x 6mm | 145g
  • Duc
  • United States
  • English
  • 6135927973
  • 9786135927979