The Factory House at Oporto

The Factory House at Oporto : Account of the Port Wine Trade

By (author) 

List price: US$29.95

Currently unavailable

Add to wishlist

AbeBooks may have this title (opens in new window).

Try AbeBooks

Description

An insight into the trade of the port wine merchants whose lives revolved around their meeting house in Oporto. Factories were trading houses set up in the 17th century by European merchants operating abroad. The Factory House in Oporto is the last remaining of its kind and is British owned. The port trade as we know it, and the same applies to sherry and madeira, was founded by the British. The author's family, of Huguenot origin, have been in Oporto continuously since 1835. John Delaforce joined the family firm, Delaforce Sons & Co, in 1931. In 1968 it became part of the International Distillers & Vintners Group and in 1969 John Delaforce retired and handed over to his sons and daughter the house and vineyards at Quinta do Foz de Temilobos in the Alto Douro. He is the author of "Anglicans Abroad, the History of the Chaplaincy and Church of St James Oporto".show more

Product details

  • Paperback | 128 pages
  • 186 x 246 x 12.7mm | 340g
  • Bloomsbury Publishing PLC
  • Christopher Helm Publishers Ltd
  • London, United Kingdom
  • English
  • 3rd Bicentenary ed
  • b&w photographs
  • 0747006148
  • 9780747006145